Opened in 1987, The Menil Collection houses a world of art, from the prehistoric to the present day. Exhibited on site in sky-lit galleries and upstairs "treasure rooms," the collection continues to grow. Paintings, sculptures, decorative objects, prints, works on paper, photographs, and rare books are on view, lent to national and international exhibitions, and accessible to scholars.
Housed in a gray Menil bungalow, the Menil Bookstore faces the main entrance of the museum building. Inside, you will find a broad range of volumes from the Menil Collection imprint (including many now-rare exhibition catalogues), as well as an array of contemporary art, architecture, design, and special interest books. The Menil Bookstore also features a large children’s book and toy section, carefully curated gifts and merchandise, and a small but special selection of jewelry and artwork by Texas-based artists.
The Rothko Chapel, a nonprofit institution run independently of the Menil, is a sacred place open to all people, every day of the year. Dedicated in 1971, it was one of John and Dominique de Menil’s first monumental projects and their last completed together. A tranquil meditative environment inspired by the mural canvases of Russian-born American painter Mark Rothko (1903–1970), the Chapel welcomes over 80,000 visitors each year, people of any faith and from all parts of the world. On the plaza, Barnett Newman's The Broken Obelisk
stands in memory of Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.